Eitan Berglas (1934 - 1992)
Professor Berglas played a crucial leadership role in developing the economic department at Tel Aviv University. He began this role in 1967, which was a critical year for achieving accreditation for the department’s B.A. program by the Higher Education Committee. Professor Berglas served the University as Chair of the Economics Department (1968-70 and part of 1978), as Dean of the Faculty of Social Sciences (1972-4) and as Vice Rector (1978-9). As one of Israel's leading economists, he participated in many public activities and served as a Director of the Budget in the Ministry of Finance. Later he was appointed as a Chairman of the Board of Directors of Bank Hapoalim. In late 1992, the Tel Aviv University Senate decided to expand the Department into a School of Economics, to be named in memory of Professor Eitan Berglas, who had passed away in the same year.